- set yourself apart from your competitor, and/or
- identify sales opportunities within your existing customer database.
TIME (or the lack of it) is a precious commodity, and it is important to "work smarter, not harder" in today's challenging business environment.
When considering things such as
It doesn't leave much time to spend with your customers - i.e. the very thing that derives your income.
- the time taken in travelling between jobs;
- taking telephone calls/bookings during the day;
- writing up paperwork/reports; and
- running a small business;
Opportunities to cross-sell your products to your customers are likely presenting themselves at each job. Being aware of them, and finding the time to do something about it, is the challenge.
Research by "Marketing Metrics" indicates the probability of selling to an existing customer is 60 - 70%. The probability of selling to a new prospect is 5 - 20%. Therefore, it makes sense to focus your time and energy on the existing relationships that you have nurtured and developed during the time that you have been in business.
Below are some simple ideas of cross-selling opportunities within the Pest Management industry:
- Look for evidence of other pest problems at the property (rodent droppings, wasps nests, bird feathers, entry points into roof, holes for possums, webs, fleas etc)
- Look for evidence of previous termite treatments - find out when the next treatment is due
- If attending a property for a spider/cockroach spray, ask if the homeowner wants to package a termite inspection too
- Ask for referrals, and leave business cards or magnets with the homeowner
- Remind customers of everything you offer (i.e. all of your services, any free service period offered, TimberSecure termite insurance, etc).
Sure, new customer opportunities cannot be ignored. Business growth is important and every new customer is vital to the on-going success of your business. Soon, these "new" customers will experience all that your business has to offer, and will become one of your loyal long term customers.